We’re going to preface this by saying that a double chin isn’t an issue exclusive to overweight individuals. We all carry body fat in different places, and some predominantly ends up under your chin. It may not bother some people, but it could bother others. If you do have one of these lovable extra chins, there are a few things you can do to minimize its appearance.
Before we can go into how to prevent and minimize double chins, you need first to consider the cause. As we age, we tend to build up more fat in areas that may not have bothered us before. Genetics can also be an issue, and so can the age-old problem of weight gain. No matter the cause, know that your double chin shouldn’t be viewed as a problem, and can be something to be embraced.
Now let’s take a look at some preventative methods.
Facial massages and massage tools are predominantly seen in Asia. Countries in the eastern hemisphere seem to come out with new and improved beauty gadgets every year. You can look into handheld roller devices or an automatic ionic system that targets droopiness.
Other than your chin, facial massages work well to combat jowls and turkey necks as well. Some ionic devices come with serums that they massage into your skin to help tighten and dispel double chins.
No matter the device you use, make sure you do it gently with upward sweeping motions.
Facial Exercises (Yoga)
The area under your chin is similar to the rest of your body. It can be trained, toned, and become taut. You can reach your goal with the help of daily facial exercises. It can prevent and minimize double chins. Below are a few exercises you can try.
- The Neck Stretch – This one is relatively easy and doesn’t take a lot of effort. Tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling. Next, press the surface of your tongue to the roof of your mouth hold for a few seconds then relax. Do this repeatedly for about 30 seconds.
- Jaw Jut – This one also starts at the same position as the neck stretch. Tilt your head back and keep your eyes on the ceiling. Slowly turn your head to the right and jut out your bottom jaw. Hold it again for a few seconds and then relax. Repeat the movements on the left side. Do it for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Ball Exercise – First, find a ball that measures at about 10 inches and place it under your chin. Try to hold it in place with your chin by pressing it down. Do this 25 times a day.
- This Kiss – A lot of these double-chin diminishing exercises involve looking at the ceiling and stretching out your neck. This one is also similar. Start by tilting your head back and looking at the ceiling. Then pucker up your lips as if you are about to kiss it and hold the position. You should feel a stretch along the bottom of your chin down your neck.
- The Tongue – This one may just be as funny-looking as the kiss (maybe even more so). Look directly ahead and stick out your tongue. Push it as far as it will go, then lift the tip upward, almost like you want to touch the tip of your nose. Hold it for 5-10 seconds and relax. Do this for about 30 seconds as well.
- Straight Jaw Jut – This is also similar to the jaw jut above, except you’re facing forward and not tilting your head to the side. Look forward, jut out your jaw and hold it for 3-5 seconds. Repeat this for 30 seconds.
- Chin Resistance – Similar to resistance exercises for the rest of your body, the chin resistance requires force. Rest your chin on either the palms of your hand or balled up fists. Then slowly push down onto your palms or fists with your chin and feel the resistance. You should hold it in place for three seconds and repeat it for 30 seconds.
- The Smile – Who knew something as simple as a smile did the trick? The only part that varies from a regular smile is the clenched muscles. You need to clench your teeth and jaws while you do this and smile from ear to ear as widely as possible. To add to the difficulty, press the surface of your tongue to the top of your mouth. Hold it there for 5 seconds then relax. Repeat this exercise for about 30 seconds as well. Numerous exercises can be linked to reducing your double chin. They may look funny, but that just adds to the fun! You can do this in private to avoid candid photos by family members or do it together and make a game of it!
Serums and Moisturizers
There are many serums and moisturizers on the market that claim to have tightening and toning effects. Ones that boast of collagen production will help as well. Just make sure that when you’re applying the serum, you are doing so in slow upwards sweeping motions. Some people even incorporate a handheld tool into the serum and moisturizer massaging process, and this could further the effects.
If all-natural remedies fail, you can always opt for the one with the most guarantee: treatments. A lot of clinical treatments are non-invasive, so you don’t have to worry about undergoing a whole ordeal. There are fat burning and sculpting options with radiofrequency.
Say hello to the jawline you thought you never had and tighten the skin around that area. You can get an ultrasound to tighten and firm the surrounding muscles as well.
Cool sculpting can freeze fat cells and eventually eliminate them as well. There are various treatments you can look into to help remedy the issue of a double chin. After all, a double chin definitely enforced the phrase “two is a crowd.”
This one is slightly more invasive, and we wouldn’t suggest turning to surgeries and treatments before you explore other safer options. Botox is extremely popular among women and men, both old and young. It’s a proven way to sculpt and thin out your face.
It provides a toning and lifting effect that tightens your skin to prevent these problems from arising. Injections can be a bit scary because it involves needles. It may not be the best option for you if you have this fear.
Knowing that you’re injecting foreign substances into your body can also be scary (although it’s mostly safe).
Of course, if all else fails, there’s still the be all end all liposuction route. It will most like eliminate your double chin in one go, but it’s an invasive procedure. We understand that exercising that part of your body may not be the easiest, and especially when genes are involved, it can be even more difficult to tame.
In this case, the doctor can go into your problem area and remove the fat entirely and sculpt your chin and neck for your desired look.
While this isn’t exactly for getting rid of your double chin, you can hide it with makeup. It’s all about the contour! With the right contour powder, you can slim and lengthen your face. You can even “produce” a jawline and cheekbones if you know how.
The point of contouring is to give the illusion of a sculpted face if you are naturally rounder. It also enhances your structure if you are blessed with defined lines. Not only can makeup help with your double chin, but it can also sculpt your jawline and chin.
Know that a double chin is in no way a sign that you are imperfect. We all have self-perceived “problem areas” that we would like to prevent or reduce. A double chin could appear simply because of your genetics, and there isn’t much you can do about that except try our tips above. With persistent action and determination, we are more than sure that you can achieve the look you want.